Deccan Chronicle, August 16, 2009, Hyderabad
Dandies in the city don’t think twice before going under the knife to snag SRK’s dimples or Angelina Jolie’s pout.
A nip here, a tuck there and voila! If you thought only women were charmed by the lure of cosmetic quick-fixes, Hyderabadi men will give you a whole new perspective. From nose jobs and lip augmentations to breast correction and tummy tucks, men in the city are big on shelling out mega moolah in order to look a million bucks.
Shah Rukh Khan‘s dimples, John Abraham‘s washboard abs and believe it or not, “Angelina Jolie’s sensual, full lips” are high on the men’s wishlist! if they are not born with it, they head to the nearest cosmetic clinic for a surgical solution.
Cosmetic surgeons in the city who confirm the trend, reveal that a majority of their clients are young men, mostly in the age-group of 25 to 35. Dr Debraj Shome, facial plastic surgeon and head of aesthetic surgery, Apollo Hospitals, admits most of his patients these days are men who are in pursuit of better features and younger looks. “I can broadly divide my male patients into three categories. Those in their 20s come for acne scar removal, hair restoration or lip augmentation, to get fuller lips with the help of fillers. Men in the age group of 30-50 come for facelifts. Men above 50 come for surgical face lift, brow lift, eye lid lift and neck lift.”
Dr Shome says this was unusual even a couple of years ago, adding that most men who opt for cosmetic surgeries are those from the corporate sector. “it’s important to look good in order to climb the corporate ladder, lest you get left out in the rat race,” he adds. What’s more, metro sexual cine stars with smooth skin, chiseled features and Greek god bods have raised the bar for young men who don’t mind going to any length to look like their screen idols. Dr Venkat Rao, consultant plastic and cosmetic surgeon agrees. “Men today, don’t think there is anything unmanly about it. As long as there is an option in medical science, they are willing to go for it. I have a lot of young men coming to me for surgical breast correction and tummy tucks,” he adds.
* Hair Transplantation Rs 30,000-50,000
* Tummy Tuck Rs 40,000-80,000
* Nose Correction Rs 30,000-70,000
* Lip Augmentation Rs 25,000
* Scar Removal Rs 20,000-40,000
* Dimple Surgery Rs 25,000
* Breast Correction Rs 25,000-50,000
- IF A SURGERY COULD ENHANCE MY LOOKS, I DON’T MIND GETTING IT DONE. EARLIER SHAVING ONE’S CHEST WAS CONCIDERED UNMANLY. I KNOW OF MANY WHO HAVE GOT COSMETIC SURGERY DONE. – SAYS MUBEEN QURESHI MODEL
- EVERY ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO LOOK GOOD. IF GIRLS CAN DO IT, WHY CAN’T WE? IF WE WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY WE MAKE ON OVERSELVES WHY IS IT WRONG? MEN ARE CONSCIOUS ABOUT THEIR LOOKS NOW. –SAYS SIDHARTH, MODEL