Carbuncle – Skin Infections
What is Carbuncle?
Carbuncle is an acute inflammatory nodule of the skin caused by bacterial invasion into the hair follicles or sebaceous gland ducts. It is actually a boil, but one that has more than one focus of infection, i.e., involves several follicles or ducts. Carbuncles occur more often in men because of their more extensive body hair growth.
What are the symptoms?
- Initially it appears as a red lump and as it grows pus starts to appear. Pus may come from the site, especially as time passes
What is the cause?
A bacterium called Staphylococcus aureus infects an area under the skin or in a hair follicle.
The infection can occur when a cut, wound, friction, pressure, or moisture forces the bacteria deeper into the skin or hair follicle
How is it diagnosed?
- There is tenderness and pain
- Occasionally there is presence of fever.
- Usually apparent to the physician on exam. The healthcare provider may collect a sample of pus from the abscess and send it to the laboratory so the organism can be identified
- Cultures of pus may be sent to make sure antibiotic choice is correct
How is it treated?
Antibiotics commonly used are flucloxacillin and erythromycin.
- Warm soaks and moist compresses.
- Incision and drainage of the lesion.
Antibiotics may also be needed for fluctuant lesions.
- To avoid spreading of infection, do not burst a abscess
- Apply hot compress 3 times a day for 10 minutes to help ripen the boil
- Wash the area thoroughly after the boil has burst and cover it with dry dressing.
What is the estimated cost of treatment?
In general, a consultation with Dr. Rinky Kapoor would cost about INR 1000/-.
For more information on Dr. Rinky Kapoor’s work, click on:www.theestheticclinic.com/dr-rinky-kapoor.html
About Dr. Rinky Kapoor
Dr. Rinky Kapoor, Co-founder of The Esthetic Clinic, is one of the best dermatologists in the world & currently practices in Mumbai, India. Dr. Rinky Kapoor is a Consultant Cosmetic Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Trichologist at S L Raheja Fortis Hospital, Mumbai, India. Dr. Kapoor is trained at the National Skin Centre, Singapore & at Stanford University, USA. A celebrity skin doctor, Dr. Rinky Kapoor has won many honors such as “Best Dermatologist Mumbai”, “Top 10 Cosmetologist India”, etc for her evidence based expert dermatology care, affordable & reliable skin care, hair care & nail care …Read more
E: email@example.com | M: +91 9004671379