Keloid Scar (Removal Surgery)
What are Keloids?
Keloids are single or multiple dense, thick nodules, typically found at areas of previously injured skin (burns, lacerations), or they may arise spontaneously on normal skin. Over weeks to months, these nodules can become painful, tender, itchy (pruritic), and grow to become very large. .
Keloid in Post pelvic surgery scar
Who’s at risk?
Most patients start developing Keloids in their 20s. Keloids are most frequent in blacks and individuals of Mediterranean ancestry, but they can appear in people of any race.
What are the signs and symptoms?
Keloids are usually seen on the neck, ear lobes, legs or arms, and on the upper trunk, especially the chest. They frequently follow the lines of injury. Spontaneous keloids are common on the mid-chest. Keloids are smooth and shiny, firm to the touch, red, hyperpigmented or skin-colored nodules. Keloids may develop claw like projections that extend beyond the area of injury.
What are the treatments your physician may prescribe?
Seek medical evaluation if keloids become bothersome or symptomatic.
Keloids are extremely difficult to treat, but your doctor may try the following:
- Topically applied silicone sheeting.
- Pressure or “clip-on” earrings for ear lobe keloids
- Inflamed keloids often respond to steroid injections near the site.
- Freezing (cryosurgery) plus steroid injections.
- Surgery plus radiation therapy to the affected area. Surgical removal of keloids may lead to the keloid coming back larger than it was before the excision.
- Laser therapy with a pulsed-dye laser to actively expanding lesions.
- Other injectable agents, such as interferon alpha and gamma.
About Dr. Rinky Kapoor
Dr. Rinky Kapoor, Co-founder of The Esthetic Clinic, is one of the best dermatologists in the world & currently practices in Mumbai, India. Dr. Rinky Kapoor is a Consultant Cosmetic Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Trichologist at S L Raheja Fortis Hospital, Mumbai, India. Dr. Kapoor is trained at the National Skin Centre, Singapore & at Stanford University, USA. A celebrity skin doctor, Dr. Rinky Kapoor has won many honors such as “Best Dermatologist Mumbai”, “Top 10 Cosmetologist India”, etc for her evidence based expert dermatology care, affordable & reliable skin care, hair care & nail care …Read more
E: firstname.lastname@example.org | M: +91 9004671379