Schedule : Monday - Saturday : 10 AM to 8 PM IST (By Appointment only)
As we get older, the skin loses elasticity as collagen decreases. External factors such as lack of hydration, dirt and pollution expedite these signs of ageing around the eye area. Most under-eye problems can be prevented if you treat them early. Listed below are some common under-eye problems and how you can get rid of them.
Wrinkles around the eye can start making their appearance in as early as the 20s and it is one of the most bothersome signs of indication of age on the face. Wrinkles under the eyes are mostly unavoidable as the skin on the face will stretch every time you smile or frown or cry or laugh. Of course, there is nothing as too much smiling. Other causes of wrinkles under the eyes include smoking, sun damage, allergy, poor facial skin care, genetics and even menopause.
Dry skin is susceptible to wrinkles, flakes and tightness under the eyes. Dry skin under the eyes is mainly caused because we fail to hydrate under the eyes. The delicate skin under the eyes needs intense hydrating all throughout the day.
The puffiness and under-eye bags are the sure signs of ageing. These can be caused because of stress, salt retention by body, fat deposits and the skin loosening. An unhealthy lifestyle can cause them to appear as early as in the 20s.
These are the most dreaded of under-eye problems. They can be caused because of fatigue, stress, lack of sleep, too much screen time, sunrays. The blue and reddish blue that appear under the eye skin cause the darkening of skin under the eyes. Dark circles make your eyes look sunken and the face looks tired.
TREATMENT FOR UNDER-EYE PROBLEMS
Laser treatments: Lasers are best for removing wrinkles and at the same time tighten the skin to give it a younger look. Laser skin resurfacing treatments remove the layers of the skin thus removing the wrinkles around the eyes. Fractional CO2 laser treatment is the best treatment for under-eye wrinkles. It takes about 30 minutes per session and you can see the results from the first session itself.
It also improves collagen and elastin so that you have a smooth and healthy skin. It is non-invasive and does not have any side effects. Laser can also be used to treat the dark circles under the eyes and the ugly looking bags that appear under the eyes.
Botulinum toxin: These injections are one of the oldest treatments for wrinkles. Small amount of botulinum is injected in the targeted muscles to relax them, which causes the wrinkles to diminish. The downside of Botox is that it is temporary and only works for three to four months. However, the procedure can be performed in less than half hour and you can go right back to your normal activities right afterwards.
Chemical Peels: Chemical peels are the chemical solutions that are applied on the skin and they peel of the dermal layer to reveal a wrinkle free skin.
There are many kinds of peels ranging from superficial peels to deep peels and they use alpha hydroxy acid, glycolic acid or trichloroacetic acid. The type of peel that you need will depend on the skin type and the depth of the wrinkles formed.
Microdermabrasion: This procedure involves spraying microcrystals into the skin peeling the outermost layer. This process removes the dead skin layers and encourages the production of elastin and collagen. Microdermabrasion is good for treating moderate to mild under-eye wrinkles. The benefits of microdermabrasion will last for about twelve months.
Blepharoplasty: This is a surgical process that is done to remove the dark circles, under-eye bags, wrinkles and sagging skin under the eyes. Blehparopasty provides long-term results. The surgeons make a small incision in the folds of the eyes and remove the fat and reposition the fat, remove the excess skin and tighten the muscles to restore the youthful appearance of the eyes. Blepharoplasty gives the eyes a very natural looking result that last for a long time. However, this is an invasive procedure and is done by an expert surgeon. You will need to wait patiently for the recovery time to see the complete results.
Creams and topical treatments: There are many over the counter products in the markets that include eye creams, eye serums, masks etc. that claim to get rid of the wrinkles, dark circles, puffy bags under the eyes and dry skin under the eyes. When buying the creams you should look for the products, which contain alpha hydroxy acids, retinol, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E. Choose a formula that is suitable for your skin type for best results.
Dermal fillers: Dermal fillers are an excellent way of reducing the under-eye bags. Fillers are strategically injected under the eye to add to the volume of the eye bag so that the skin smoothens over and transitions better to the cheek and making the texture smoother.
The eyes are the windows of the soul they demand a lot of care and attention and rightly so. Here are some general suggestions that you must incorporate in your daily life to keep the under-eye problems at bay forever
• Eat healthy. Include a lot of greens, fruits and home cooked meal in your daily routine. Decrease the salt intake in your diet.
• Hydrate yourself well. Drink juices, tea and water and stay away from hard and soft drinks.
• Sleep well. Switch off your devices and get a proper 8 hours sleep and let your eyes rest.
• Use sunscreen around the eye area every time you step out of the house. • Include products that increase the production of collagen and elastic to strengthen the skin in your daily routines.
• Make an eye care routine and stick to it.
• Reduce smoking (active and passive)
• Wear sunglasses when you step out. This will protect your eyes and the skin around it from the harmful UV rays.
Natural Remedies: There are some natural remedies that you can use and incorporate in your daily life to get rid of the under-eye problems.
• Apply Aloe Vera gel under your eyes. Aloe Vera gel is helpful in reducing the wrinkles and dark circles and also helps keep the skin hydrated.
• Mix tomato juice with lemon juice and apply under the eyes and leave for 10 mins and wash off. This will help reduce the dark circles.
• Use ice; the ice cures it all. If your eyes are feeling puffy and tired then apply an ice pack for few minutes and you will see the difference.
• The age-old method of putting some cool cucumber slices over your eyes for 15 minutes will help reduce the dark circles and puffiness.
• Dip some milk in cotton ball and apply on the under-eye area. This will help tighten the muscles underneath and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
• Apply rose water under the skin to reduce dark circles.
• Blend mint leaves and extract the juice. Add ¼ teaspoon of turmeric to the juice and mix well to make a paste. Apply on the under-eye area and leave for 20 minutes and wash it off. This will revive the sagging skin. • Coconut oil is excellent for reducing dryness. Massage in clockwise and anticlockwise direction. Leave overnight.
• Moisturise; ask your dermatologist about a good intense moisturiser for the under-eye skin and apply it regularly.
• Almond oil also works great for reducing the darkness, wrinkles and dryness from the under-eye skin.
Dr. Debraj Shome is Director and Co founder of The Esthetic Clinics. He has been rated amongst the top surgeons in India by multiple agencies. The Esthetic Clinics patients include many international and national celebrities who prefer to opt for facial cosmetic surgery and facial plastic surgery in Mumbai because The Esthetic Clinics has its headquarters there.