Generally, tumors, as well as inflammations, transpire behind the eye in any individual. Orbital tumor refers to any tumor located in the orbit. A bony socket that is positioned in front of a skull that holds eye is called orbit.
A socket is considered as a complex composition that comprises of muscles, connective tissue, and nerves. The shape of a socket is extended in front and tapering towards back side. Orbit helps in protecting eyeball and help in bearing for optic nerve to move from eye to brain. Furthermore, an optical region that involves surrounding bone and muscles assists to control eye, blood vessels, and nerves.
However, tumors may arise from any of structures that are present in orbit or eye. An orbital tumor can be mild or deadly and they can be either primary, where tumor introduces or metastatic which means there is spreading of another cancer anywhere in a body. Most children are suffering from orbital tumors while other tumors are usually diagnosed in adults.
There are different types of Orbital Tumor that can be caused in any individual. Let us discuss-
- Sacromas orbital tumor-It arises from fatty tissue or muscle
- Optic Gliomas-This tumor arise from supporting cells in brain called glial cells
- Meningiomas-orbital tumor rises in meninges that enclose the brain and optic nerve and acts as a protective layer.
- Neurofibromas or Schwannomas Orbital Tumor-It arise from Schwann Cells that embraces nerve in sheaths.
- Hemangiomas, as well as lymphangiomas – These orbital tumors, originate in a vascular system.
- Fibrous Histiocytomas-This Orbital Tumor usually notices in children and are develop from embryonic cells in the body.
However cavernous hemangioma is most common benign orbit tumor that originally arises in young or middle age people. Therefore these orbital tumors can be removed surgically that includes endovascular surgery, traditional methods of surgery, chemotherapy or other medical interferences by experts or surgeons like Dr.Debraj Shome.
How is Orbital Tumor Cause?
- Most orbital tumors that cause in children follows from developmental deformities.
- Some of them are caused when cancer from one part of the body like lung, breast expands to orbit.
- However, Skin Cancer-Melanoma can also metastasize to orbit and cause orbital Tumor
Symptoms of Orbital Tumour
- Impacts on visibility like problem of double vision and vision loss as well as extra ocular muscle functions
- Cause pain or feeling of stress in eye socket
- A projection of the eye called exophthalmos.
Treatments for Orbital Tumor
However orbital tumor can be totally removed with help of various surgeries like orbitotomy, which involves opening of orbit and removing of tumor completely from the body. In case of tumors are not completely removed with surgery, and then external beam radiation therapy can be used.