Pigmentation – is a Latin word in origin; which in Medicine generally refers to the deposition of a pigment in a tissue leading to coloration of that tissue.
What is pigmentation?
Hyperpigmentation is the coloration or darkening of an area of the skin or nails. The Skin contains a particular type of cells called melanocytes that produces a pigment called melanin. Depending upon the amount of pigment produced, the skin undergoes pigmentation. If skin produces too much pigment, it gets darker, a condition known as hyperpigmentation. However, if too little of the pigment is formed by the cells, the condition is known as hypopigmentation.
What are the different hyperpigmentation presentations?
- Natural pigment variations in skin, example pigment demarcation lines like those on the temples, legs etc.May be sen clearly in conditions like pregnancy.
- Melasma or chloasma is a common pigmentation disease characterized by dark patches on the face that commonly affects women more than men, particularly pregnant women. It usually occurs in states of hormonal imbalance, especially in women using oral contraceptives or undergoing hormone replacement therapy, or due to chronic sun exposure, and sometimes the cause is unknown.
- Chronic sun exposure –
1) Freckles – Freckles may begin in childhood and can be genetic in nature. They are darkened spots on the skin caused by overproduction of melanin granules by the melanocytes. Seen commonly in fairer skin, people living on high altitudes and sunny areas.
2) Age spots – Also called lentigine or liver spots, these are rounded patches that occur on the skin in the elderly, developing like large freckles.
- Smoker’s melanosis – This is the darkening or pigmentation of the gums or inner parts of the cheeks caused by long term smoking.
- Acanthosis nigricans – underlying insulin disturbances are thought to be the sause.Commonly seen as dark velvety pigmentation on neck, underarms, knuckles, eyelids, nose etc.a dark transverse nasal crease seen in some individuals is thought to be a part of this disease.
- Undereye dark circles – Causes are many and discussed on a different page.
- Diffuse pigmentation on the body in conditions lik addissons disease, cushings syndrome, atopic dermatitis etc.
- Pigmented contact dermatitis – seen usually in sun exposed areas due to sun mediated allergic reactions
- Post inflammatory pigmentation – Example post acne pigmentation
- Malignancies – Maligmant melanoma
- Drug induced – Example hydroquinone
Why does pigmentation develop?
It is caused by deposition of melanin by the skin color cells referred to as melanocytes. This can be deposited in the upper or lower layers of the skin called the epidermis and dermis respectively. As the melanin accumulates and the body loses its ability to control the activity of the melanocytes hyperpigmentation occurs.
Fractional ErbiumFractional Erbium YAG Laser Acne Scars Treatment in Mumbai, India- Dr Rinky Kapoor
Is there any permanent treatment?
Treatment is available in the form of ointments and oral pills. Other forms of treatment include chemical peeling and laser treatment.
What are the Treatments available?
- Natural skin lightening treatments include preventing exposure of skin to the sun and use of broad spectrum sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) at all times, and a wide-brimmed hat, because sunlight will worsen the condition especially in case of hyper-pigmented skin.
- Dermatologists usually recommend the topical use of hydroquinone or retinol (a form of vitamin A) as the treatment of choice in many cases. However, when there is some underlying cause, it has to be correted appropriately. The use of agents including tretinoin, corticosteroid, vitamin C, liquorice, kojic acid, Arbutin etc. are also being used in skin lightening treatment
- Chemical peels, mesotherapy and microdermabrasion can be used for mild cases
- Specially formulated potent pigment reduction creams, strong one time peels, etc. are also available thought heir use will be decided by your dermatologist.
- Oral skin lightening agents like glutathione with ascorbic acid are available though their efficacy is not known.
- In resistant cases, fractionated lasers and very low-level Q-switched Nd: YAG lasers can be used. There are certain other types of laser treatments available depending upon the area, location and extent of skin involved.
Is the treatment painful?
Most of the Pigmentation treatment options are quite painless. However, laser treatment may cause minimal discomfort, but the pain is relieved by applying a local anesthetic cream on the area of skin to be treated.
What are the points one needs to remember before deciding to undergo anti aging treatments?
1) Combinations of these treatments are required in most cases, which will be best decided by your treating dermatologist.
2) Maintainence is required with every treatment One can improve appearance and prevent pigmentation by correcting the underlying cause and following aqdequate sun protection measures.
3) Every skin is different, just like every individual is unique.One must have realistic expectations and not get carried away by advertisements, results obtained in other patients, celebrities etc.
4) A trained expert Cosmetic dermatologist with ample years of experience should be your treating physician.
5) Pigmentation does not clear overnight and one has to be patient during therapy
6) Nowadays, patients come in asking for full body skin lightening.There are many products sold over the internet which are very tempting on advertisements making tall claims, however, they may not be scientifically proven and the side effects may be serious.It is advisable not use any products without medical advise as the side effects might be impossible to treat.
7) Generalised skin lightening can be achieved if there is tanning, darkening of some area pf the body relative to the rest, due to external factors, by some medications and applications to a certain extent , and the results need to be maintained for long via continued application.Generally, if maintainence is stopped, the skin may gradually revert back to its original status if one is inherently of darker complexion.
Face Skin Pigmentation Treatment Before After Photos, See the Patient Results-
What is the cost of Face Skin Pigmentation Treatment?
We all spend a considerable amount of time, effort and money on trying to enhance our appearance. But home remedies and cosmetics are effective for treating skin conditions only to a certain point. Cosmetic surgery can be one tool to enhance our appearance and correct any flaws and imperfections which make us feel self-conscious. Pigmentation treatment is one such treatment than can clarify the skin and give us the luminous, even skin tone we have always desired.
If you have decided to undergo pigmentation treatment, you must definitely want to find out the costs associated with the procedure. The cost of pigmentation treatment depends on the type of treatment and the number of sittings required to correct your skin. Do not be tempted to choose a treatment on the basis of cost alone as it may compromise your skin and health.
We, at The Esthetic Clinic, provide a wide range of skin care treatment and cosmetic surgery. Our head dermatologist, Dr.Rinky Kapoor, is a well-known practitioner in Mumbai and has treated many celebrities. Using the latest techniques and high tech equipment, we can assist you in every step of your cosmetic enhancement.
The Esthetic Clinic was started with the intention of treating a wide variety of skin problems and cosmetic reconstruction surgery. Our highly qualified team of specialists, well trained staff and latest equipment will ensure that you are thoroughly satisfied with the results of the procedure.
Facilities at The Esthetic Clinic
Quality patient care is provided through well trained specialist Dermatologist as well as Plastic surgeon who give customized expert advice and personally perform treatments with the latest technology and techniques in treating any disease/cosmetic concern available worldover.
About Dr. Rinky Kapoor
Dr. Rinky Kapoor, Co-founder of The Esthetic Clinic, is one of the best dermatologists in the world & currently practices in Mumbai, India. Dr. Rinky Kapoor is a Consultant Cosmetic Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Trichologist at S L Raheja Fortis Hospital, Mumbai, India. Dr. Kapoor is trained at the National Skin Centre, Singapore & at Stanford University, USA. A celebrity skin doctor, Dr. Rinky Kapoor has won many honors such as “Best Dermatologist Mumbai”, “Top 10 Cosmetologist India”, etc for her evidence based expert dermatology care, affordable & reliable skin care, hair care & nail care …Read more
E: email@example.com | M: +91 9004671379