Dr. Aparna Govil Bhasker is a Bariatric and Advanced Laparoscopic Surgeon and leads the department of Bariatric Surgery at Gleneagles Global Hospital, Mumbai. She is also associated with Saifee Hospital, Mumbai, MGM Hospital, Vashi; Currae Hospital, Thane; Suchak Hospital, Malad and Apollo Spectra Hospital in Chembur.
She is one of the first surgeons in India to be accredited by the Surgical Review Corporation (SRC) as a Center for Excellence (COE) surgeon in 2011. She completed her post- graduation in General Surgery from Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Sewagram, India in 2006 after which she went on to do a fellowship in “Advanced Laparoscopy and Bariatric Surgery” at Center for Obesity and Digestive Surgery in Mumbai. She was the section chief of bariatric surgery at Saifee Hospital Mumbai and was associated with CODS as a consultant bariatric and laparoscopic surgeon for 10 years. She has one of the largest experience in bariatric surgery and advanced laparoscopic surgery in the country today. She also has a keen interest in clinical research and in 2015, she completed an online 9 months diploma on “principles and practice of clinical research” from the Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Aparna Govil Bhasker is the Chairperson for the Position Statement Committee of the Asia Pacific Chapter of International Federation for Obesity and Metabolic Surgery (IFSO-APC) and a member of the IFSO Communication Committee. She is an invited speaker at many national and international conferences. She has performed live surgeries at conferences and training programs at national level.
She has a special interest in single incision surgery and has one of the largest series of single incision bariatric surgeries in India. She performs both Bariatric as well as General Laparoscopic Surgeries with great ease and finesse.
She has a keen interest in research and academics and has published many papers in peer reviewed journals. She is the co-author of a ‘Silver Book on Sleeve Gastrectomy” which was published in 2016. She has also authored chapters in many text books of surgery. She is an avid reader, blogger and an artist. She also runs a charitable foundation called Debabrata Auro Foundation along with Dr. Debraj Shome in Mumbai
KEY AREAS OF SPECIALTY
- Laparoscopic Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery:
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery for Gastrointestinal Diseases
- Single Incision Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgery
- Laparoscopic Colo-Rectal Surgery
- Laparoscopic Hernia Surgery
- Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgeon at Gleneagles Global Hospital, Parel, Mumbai
- Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgeon at MGM Hospital, Vashi, Navi Mumbai
- Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgeon at Currae Hospital, Thane
- Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgeon at Saifee Hospital, Charni Road, Mumbai
- Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgeon, Apollo Hospital, CBD Belapur, New Bombay
- Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgeon, Suchak Hospital, Malad, Mumbai.
- Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgeon, Apollo Spectra Hospital, Chembur, Mumbai
- Faculty for the Ethicon Institute for Surgical training
- Chairperson- IFSO-APC Position Statement and Research Committee
- Member of IFSO Communication Committee
- 2003-2006: Masters in Surgery (M.S.), Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences,Sewagram.University of Nagpur.
- 1996-2001: MBBS, Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Sewagram.
University of Nagpur.
- Fellowship in Bariatric Surgery and Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery, 2007 Center for Obesity and Diabetes Surgery, Mumbai
- 9 months Online Diploma in Principles and Practice of Clinical Research, 2015 Harvard Medical School, USA
HONORS AND AWARDS
Recipient of IFSO scholarship in Buenos Aires, Argentina, September 24-27, 2008
First Asian Female Surgeon to be awarded the designation of an International Center for Excellence for Bariatric Surgery in 2011.