What is Impetigo?
Impetigo is a common bacterial skin infection usually caused by “staph” (Staphylococcus) or “strep” (Streptococcus) bacteria. Impetigo often starts with a cut or break in the skin that allows bacteria entry.
Who’s at risk?
Impetigo is very common in children up to 6 years old. It also may occur in adults. Those who live in a warm, humid climate are more often affected. Insect bites, crowded living conditions, and poor skin cleansing make a person prone to infection. It may spread easily through skin-to-skin contact, having a weak immune system, or having a chronic skin problem, such as eczema, also increase the chance of getting impetigo.
What are the signs and symptoms?
There are 2 common forms: with or without fluid-filled bubbles on the skin (blisters).
- Tiny pimples or red areas quickly turn into oozing honey-colored, crusted patches (usually less than an inch) that spread, the face or traumatized areas of the skin are affected. Sometimes scabs that leave scars occur.
Mild – There are only a few of either type of lesion over a small and local area of skin, and the person feels well otherwise.
Moderate – There are over 10 lesions and several small skin areas are affected.
Severe – There are many lesions, large areas of skin are affected, and/or the person feels ill with fever, diarrhoea, or weakness.
What are the complications?
Complications related to impetigo can include deeper skin infection (cellulitis), meningitis, or a kidney inflammation (post streptococcal glomerulonephritis, which is not prevented by treatment).
How do you prevent Impetigo?
In case of mild infection:
Keep the skin clean with soap and water. Treat cuts, scrapes, and insect bites by cleaning with soap and water and covering the area if possible.
What is the treatment your physician may prescribe?
In addition to measures for mild impetigo already mentioned, either topical (usually mupirocin) or oral antibiotics (cephalosporins, amoxicillin, cloxacillin, dicloxacillin, erythromycin, or clindamycin) may be prescribed.
- Painless blisters (about an inch or less) occur that may break easily, often spread to the face, trunk, arms, or legs.
- Gently wash the area with a mild soap and water twice or more daily, and cover with gauze or a non-stick dressing if possible.
- An over-the-counter antibiotic ointment can be applied after washing the skin 3–4 times daily.
- To remove crusts, soak with a vinegar solution (1 tablespoon of white vinegar to a pint of water) for 15–20 minutes.
- Wash clothing, towels, and bedding daily and don’t share these with others.
- Wash hands frequently, try not to touch the areas, and cut the fingernails.
- Keep a child home until there are no scabs or open areas present.
- Seek medical care if the infection is moderate to severe or there is fever or pain.
What is the treatment chargeable at?
The cost for the treatment varies depending upon the treatment modality. However, a consultation with Dr. Rinky Kapoor would cost around INR 1000/-.
For more information on Dr. Rinky Kapoor’s work, click on:www.theestheticclinic.com/dr-rinky-kapoor.html
The Esthetic Clinic is a world class center dedicated to skin care and plastic surgery of the entire body – and specializes in housing an experienced Dermatologist, Dr. Rinky Kapoor, who can provide world class Skin Treatments, for skin diseases and make your skin look beautiful. So if you want to go ahead and get your hair, skin, and nails treated, The Esthetic Clinic is the best place for you.
A lot of our patients visit us from Hyderabad, New Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Pune, Ahmedabad, Chandigarh, Jaipur, Nagpur, Kolhapur, Cochin, Trichy, Bhopal, Indore, Assam, Manipur, Mizoram and many other cities in India. Many of our consumers (medical tourism) also come in from the USA, Singapore, Dubai, Qatar, Canada, Nigeria, Kenya, Mauritius, UK, South Africa and many other top countries in the world.
Locally, from Mumbai and the surrounding areas, we cater to consumers from Thakur Village, Thakur Complex, Kandivali, Borivali, Dahisar, Andheri, Dadar, Malad, Powai, South Mumbai, Worli, Thane, Bandra, Santacruz, Chembur, Navi Mumbai, Mira Road, Bhayender, Vashi, Panvel, as we have multiple centers in Mumbai.
About Dr. Rinky Kapoor
Dr. Rinky Kapoor, Co-founder of The Esthetic Clinic, is one of the best dermatologists in the world & currently practices in Mumbai, India. Dr. Rinky Kapoor is a Consultant Cosmetic Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Trichologist at S L Raheja Fortis Hospital, Mumbai, India. Dr. Kapoor is trained at the National Skin Centre, Singapore & at Stanford University, USA. A celebrity skin doctor, Dr. Rinky Kapoor has won many honors such as “Best Dermatologist Mumbai”, “Top 10 Cosmetologist India”, etc for her evidence based expert dermatology care, affordable & reliable skin care, hair care & nail care …Read more
E: firstname.lastname@example.org | M:+91-22-33756374