Schedule : Monday - Saturday : 10 AM to 8 PM IST | Online Consultation
Homemade Hair Masks for Hair Growth & for Dry, Damaged, Frizzy Hair
Daily exposure to harsh sunlight, weather changes, stress and pollution, makes our hair brittle, dull and prone to damage. While we know of countless products that are available in the market, nothing works better than natural ingredients. Try these easy breezy hair masks, which are easy to whip up and will work wonders on your hair.
Dr Rinky Kapoor, Cosmetic Dermatologist and Dermato-surgeon, The Esthetics Clinic, believes dry, frizzy hair is not a welcome sight at any point of the time. “The primary reasons that your hair are dry and frizzy are - hot water showers, excessive shampooing, over-styling, using the wrong products containing sulphates and alcohol that causes the hair ends to dry up, and brushing the hair incorrectly.” For that, Dr Kapoor suggests a simple hair routine which including washing your hair every two or three days with a suitable shampoo, combing your hair gently, or covering your hair with a scarf or hat while stepping out. And of course, eating a healthy and nourishing breakfast before starting your day to keep your hair healthy.
1. Natural DIY Masks For Your Hair Type, Guaranteed To Make Your Hair Healthy And Shiny
2. DIY Masks To Boost Hair Growth Naturally
3. DIY: Three Aloe Vera Hair Masks
4. DIY Coconut Oil Hair Mask
5. Ways To Use Hibiscus For Gorgeous Hair
6. Hair Masks You Can Make With Kitchen Ingredients
7. Kitchen Ingredients To Make The Perfect Hair Mask For Silky, Smooth, Long And Healthy Hair
8. FAQs: Dry, Damaged, Frizzy Hair
Natural DIY Masks For Your Hair Type, Guaranteed To Make Your Hair Healthy And Shiny
For Dry Hair
1. Mix 5 tbsp each of besan and curd along with 2 tbsp olive oil.
2. Apply the mixture to dry hair.
3. Leave it on for 20 minutes and shampoo off. Make sure you condition.
The besan will strengthen your roots while the curd and olive oil will add moisture and shine.
For Normal Hair
To nourish your strands and to keep them healthy and shiny,
1. Prepare a mixture of 2 tbsp each of gram flour and almond powder along with one egg white.
2. Mix and apply the mixture to hair.
3. Shampoo off after 30 minutes.
For Oily Hair
1. Mix two tbsp each of besan and ground methi seeds in coconut milk.
2. Massage this into your scalp and leave on for an hour.
3. Shampoo and condition post this.
For Damaged Hair
You don’t need expensive products to repair and rejuvenate dry or damaged strands. These genius homemade deep conditioning recipes work like a charm.
1. Blend one ripe banana and add 4 tbsp coconut oil, 1tbsp glycerin and 2 tbsp honey to the mixture.
2. You need a smooth paste to ensure that it washes off without leaving bits in your hair.
3. Apply this mixture to your hair and cover with a shower cap. Wash off after 30 minutes.
Egg Hair Mask
1. Mix three egg yolks with 3 tbsp olive oil and add a few drops of any essential oil of your choice.
2. Leave the mixture on your strands for 20 minutes before shampooing with warm water.
Aloe Vera Mask
1. Mix 5 tbsp of aloe vera gel with 2 tbsp of a silicone-free conditioner.
2. Apply the mixture to hair and use a wide-toothed comb to comb it in thoroughly.
3. Leave it on for 20 minutes before washing off.
So, you’re looking at damaged hair in the mirror, are you? Yes, I’ve been there too. Blow dryers, products and weather have taken a toll on my locks. Frankly, I am tired of going broke trying to right the mane problem, so I decided to look inwards, right into my bathroom cabinet and kitchen to share my DIY hair mask recipes - they are just perfect for repairing and moisturising damaged hair. You too can show your hair some TLC with these natural, easy and effective hair masks recipes.
3 DIY Masks To Boost Hair Growth Naturally
You can whip up these hair packs yourself, without having to spend a penny on expensive hair care treatments. Leaving behind no chemical side-effects, these easy DIY masks will help you get a thick and voluminous mane.
Avocado is perfect for the hair in many ways, believes Dr Kapoor. “A simple avocado mask can prevent dry and frizzy hair as it is rich in omega-3, amino acids and vitamins A, D, E and B6. It promotes hair growth. An avocado has a natural ability to fight free radicals which ensures a healthy scalp. A hair mask containing avocado will prevent dandruff and irritation to the scalp while also making the bouncier and silkier.”
Avocado + banana
Avocado is rich in vitamin E, which helps moisturise your hair and make it thicker. The potassium, natural oils, carbohydrates and vitamins in bananas help soften and protect your hair from breakage.
To make the mask:
1. Mash together one medium-sized ripe avocado and one small ripe banana.
2. Add one tablespoon each of olive oil and wheat germ oil to this paste.
3. Gently massage this mix into your hair, covering the roots and tips.
3. After 30 minutes, rinse with cold water and shampoo.
Tip: For best results, use this mask twice a week.
Gooseberry + Coconut Oil + Shikakai powder
Commonly known as amla, this fruit is an abundant source of vitamin C, antioxidants, flavonoids, all of which help obtain a healthy scalp, thereby promoting hair growth and texture. Coconut oil nourishes and moisturises your hair while shikakai helps strengthen your hair roots.
1. Mix one tablespoon each of amla and shikakai powder in two tablespoons of coconut oil and bring to a boil.
2. After straining this oil, massage it onto your scalp before going to bed.
3. In the morning, wash your hair with shampoo.
Tip: You can use this mask every week.
Flaxseeds + Lemon Juice
, it also helps increase hair elasticity.
1. Soak a quarter cup of flaxseeds in water overnight.
2. In the morning, add two cups of water to the flaxseeds and bring to a boil.
3. When it thickens, reduce the flame and squeeze the juice of half a lemon in it.
4. After a few minutes, turn off the heat and let it cool.
5. Add a few drops of any essential oil of your choice.
Tip: You can use this as a styling gel regularly or apply and leave overnight. The next morning, shampoo as usual.
DIY: Three Aloe Vera Hair Masks
Women across time have sworn that their modest aloe vera plant growing in the corner of their garden offers some of the most potent health and natural beauty remedies. Consider this: it consists of myriad useful compounds such as water, lectins, mannans, polysaccharides, vitamins, minerals and can be used in any form and on any hair. We created hair masks like the following:
To make the mask:
1. Mix three teaspoons of fresh aloe vera gel with two teaspoons of yoghurt one teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of olive oil.
2. Mix well and apply on hair and scalp.
3. Massage the mixture into the scalp well for 10 minutes.
4. Let it rest for half an hour and wash.
Tip: This mask helps to restore the natural shine of your hair and also works well in getting rid of dandruff.
To make the mask:
1. Mix two teaspoons of fresh aloe vera gel with one teaspoon of honey and three teaspoons of coconut oil.
2. Massage well into the hair; let it rest for half an hour and then wash with shampoo.
Tip: This mask will deep condition your dry and dull hair adding moisture and bounce.
To make the mask:
1. Mix one cup of fresh aloe vera gel, one teaspoon of honey and two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
2. Mix well and apply generously to your hair and scalp.
3. Let it rest for 20 minutes and shampoo regularly.
Tip: Do this twice a month and get rid of that embarrassing dandruff!
DIY Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Coconut Lemon Mask
1. Heat coconut oil at home; add the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of honey.
2. Mix well and apply generously to the hair and scalp.
3. Let it rest for an hour and shampoo as usual.
Tip: This mask will help fight itchy dandruff and take care of your split ends.
Coconut Banana Mask
1. In a blender mix coconut oil and a ripe banana.
2. Mix well and add coconut milk to the mixture.
3. Apply generously to the hair and scalp.
4. Keep it on for however long you wish to and then shampoo as usual.
Tip: This mask will help your hair regain its moisture by locking it in and will also prevent hair loss.
Coconut Egg mask
1. Give your hair the necessary protein with this mask.
2. Add an egg and a teaspoon of honey to coconut oil.
3. Massage well into hair and scalp and let the mask sit for an hour or two and then shampoo as usual.
Tip: This mask strengthens the hair leaving it damage-free.
Coconut Oil Mix
1. Mix coconut oil with almond oil, argan oil and a tablespoon of yoghurt.
2. Apply this mask overnight and wash the next day.
Tip: This mask will help make your hair super soft and manageable along with giving your mane its lustrous shine.
4 Ways To Use Hibiscus For Gorgeous Hair
Hibiscus or shoe flowers are known to be great for your hair. Just whip up these hair packs to get gorgeous tresses.
To Stop Hair Fall
The petals and leaves of the hibiscus flower infuse the scalp with nutrients and strengthen the hair thanks to the calcium and vitamin C it contains. It stimulates blood circulation to the scalp as well.
1. Grind some hibiscus petals to a fine paste.
2. Mix this with coconut oil and apply to your scalp, massaging it in thoroughly.
3. Leave on for an hour and shampoo off.
Tip: Do this once a week.
To Add Shine to Your Hair
This pack will soothe a stressed-out scalp and will revive dry and dehydrated locks by infusing them with moisture.
1. Grind hibiscus flowers and mix it with almond oil and aloe vera gel.
2. Apply the paste on your hair and scalp and massage it in.
3. Shampoo off after 20 minutes.
Tip: Use this once in two weeks.
To Get Rid of Dandruff
This mask will rejuvenate your scalp and get rid of any flakiness and will also make both your hair and scalp healthier over time.
1. Grind soaked fenugreek seeds, mehndi leaves and hibiscus petals to a paste.
2. Add buttermilk and lemon juice.
3. Apply the mixture to your hair and scalp.
4. Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash off.
Tip: Use this once in 15 days.
For Hair Growth
1. Grind the 7-8 hibiscus leaves and add 1/4th cup curd, 2 tbsp almond oil or coconut oil to form a fine paste.
2. Apply a thick layer all over your scalp and hair.
3. After 15 minutes, wash off with cool water followed by a conditioner.
This enhances hair growth and leaves the scalp clean and healthy.
Hair Masks You Can Make With Kitchen Ingredients.
We suggest you raid your kitchen NOW!
1. Curd, Lemon Juice And Honey Hair Pack For Shiny Tresses
1 cup curd
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp honey
1. Make a smooth paste of all the above ingredients.
2. Apply it all over hair from roots till ends and leave the paste on for 30 minutes.
3. Afterwards, wash your hair with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
2. Mayonnaise-Egg Hair Pack To Tame Frizzy Hair
One egg white
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp curd
1. Mix the above ingredients to form a smooth paste and apply a thick layer on your hair and scalp.
2. After 20 minutes, rinse it off with cool water. This pack is rich in proteins and makes hair much smoother and shinier.
We all want silky hair through which we can effortlessly run our fingers. If that’s what you want too, look no further than your kitchen. Here are five kitchen ingredients that will not only give you soft hair but are safe and economical.
Rich in protein and fatty acid, eggs add moisture and shine to the hair, repairing damaged and rough hair. Use eggs as a hair mask to give your hair a quick dose of nourishment.
2. Coconut Oil
Using coconut oil on your hair strands and roots will battle damage and dryness. It will also make the hair frizz-free, soft and shiny. A weekly coconut oil massage will keep your scalp and hair happy.
The high level of fat content in mayo acts as a moisturiser, making your hair soft immediately. Use full fat, plain mayonnaise mask on damp hair and keep it for at least 30 minutes.
Good old yoghurt not only makes for appetising ‘lassi’ but is also great for hair. The lactic acid found in yoghurt acts as a softening agent for hair. Apply fresh, unflavoured yoghurt on your tresses, keep on for 20 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water. You will fall in love with your soft hair.
5. Aloe Vera & Honey
Aloe vera is a natural conditioner while honey provides hydration. Together, these ingredients will make your hair soft and glossy. Mix aloe vera gel with some honey and use as a hair pack whenever you want soft hair instantly.
6. Banana & Olive Oil Mix
Mix and mash a banana with one tablespoon of olive oil. Get a smoothie-like texture and use it as a deep conditioning mask after your shampoo. Keep the hair mask on for close to half an hour and rinse with cold water.
7. Coconut Oil & Lemon Juice Mix
Warm up the coconut oil and squeeze in the juice of one lemon. Apply a generous amount of the mixture on your hair. The coconut oil acts as a moisturising conditioner for your hair, and the lemon juice acts as a scalp rejuvenator getting rid of any dandruff you may have. You can keep the oil mix overnight and wash with shampoo the next day.
8. Sugar Water
Mix a teaspoon of sugar with a cup of water, pour the water over your palms and run it through your hair. It will reduce the frizziness to a considerable extent as the sugar water acts as a homemade hair spray.
FAQs: Dry, Damaged, Frizzy Hair
Q: How do you fix hair damaged from straightening?
A: You don’t need expensive products to repair and rejuvenate dry or damaged strands, but simple homemade deep conditioning recipes work like a charm. You can DIY different hair masks and get yourself a gorgeous mane. To fix heat damaged hair, you can use a hair mask to nourish your strands. Mix three egg yolks with 3 tbsp olive oil and add a few drops of any essential oil of your choice. Leave the mixture on your strands for 20 minutes before shampooing with warm water.
Q: How can you fix hair breakage?
A: If you are experiencing hair fall, replace your shampoo with a homemade hair pack. Hibiscus or shoe flowers are known to be great for your hair. The petals and leaves of the hibiscus flower infuse the scalp with nutrients and strengthen the hair, thanks to the calcium and vitamin C it contains. It stimulates blood circulation to the scalp as well. Grind some hibiscus petals to a fine paste. Mix this with coconut oil and apply to your scalp, massaging it in thoroughly. Leave on for an hour and shampoo off. It is recommended to do it once a week.
Q: Home remedies for hair split ends?
A: The best home remedy for split-ends is a DIY hair masque. Hibiscus flowers are effective in soothing a stressed out scalp and reviving dry and dehydrated locks by infusing them with moisture. Grind hibiscus flowers and mix it with almond oil and aloe vera gel. Apply the paste on your hair and scalp and massage it in—shampoo off after 20 minutes. You can do it once a week.
Q: Can colour damage your hair?
A: It depends on the hair colour you use. If you use a permanent hair colour that rises or opens up the cuticle layer of the hair to allow the colour molecules to penetrate, then it will cause damage to your hair. However, if you use a semi-permanent or demi-permanent, it will help add extra shine and condition to the hair but will only last a couple of shampoos.
Q: Best serums for frizzy hair?
A: Frizzy hair takes away all the shine from your mane. The effective serums for dry and dull hair are The Body Shop Grapeseed Glossing Serum that is known to give a smooth finish to your hair and manageable. The other serum is the Kérastase Nutritive Oleo-Relax Serum that smoothens the hair and provides long-lasting frizz control.
Article Source – https://www.femina.in/beauty/hair/homemade-hair-masks-for-hair-growth-49781.html
Dr. Debraj Shome is Director and Co founder of The Esthetic Clinics. He has been rated amongst the top surgeons in India by multiple agencies. The Esthetic Clinics patients include many international and national celebrities who prefer to opt for facial cosmetic surgery and facial plastic surgery in Mumbai because The Esthetic Clinics has its headquarters there.